On display in the museum building at Colonial Pemaquid are selections from more than 75,000 artifacts which archaeologists have excavated from the site of the fishing village and forts dating from the first quarter of the 17th century.

Displays feature scenes and items relating to the area's history, including the Wawenock tribe of Native Americans, a trading post, tavern, fishing, blacksmithing, and a typical archeological excavation. Other cases also house examples of English and European ceramics -- such as a German Bellarmine jug and samples of Delftware and Rheinish pottery, Portuguese and Spanish majolica, and Staffordshire combed slipware -- a variety of English glass bottles and stemware, pottery, hardware and small objects used in the home. Interestingly enough, an understanding of how many of the objects were used and appreciated has come from studying paintings of the Dutch School, which show items similar to the snuff boxes, jars, tiles, pipes, dishes and glass ware found at Pemaquid. A distinctive piece of redware, the Pemaquid flower plate, is on display. A reproduction of the plate, exclusive to the Site by Bruce Henderson of Bangor, one of Early American Life’s 100 Best American Craftsmen, is on sale at the gift shop in the Fort House.

A diorama depicts what buildings might have looked like on the foundations thus far excavated at Pemaquid, which date from a 100 year period from 1630 through the mid-1700's.

The museum is open and staffed from Memorial Day weekend through September 1 every day from 9-5. Admission is part of the Colonial Pemaquid day use fee -- which includes the Fort, Fort House and Museum -- of $2 per person, with children under 12 and adults over 65 free of charge. The phone number is 207-677-2423.

 

 

 

 







 
             
 
© 2017 Friends of Colonial Pemaquid
All text and photos are the property of the Friends of Colonial Pemaquid
and may not be reproduced without written permission.
All rights reserved.