Colonial Pemaquid State Historic Site is located at the entrance to Pemaquid Harbor, Maine, one of the earliest sites of European occupation in North America. It was used as a seasonal fishing station as early as the 1610s and was the location of a permanent village settled between 1625 and 1629. In 1677, Fort Charles, the first of three forts on the site was built. Extensive archaeological excavations have unearthed 14 foundations of 17th- and 18th-century structures and the officers' quarters for Fort William Henry and Fort Frederick. A museum displays hundreds of artifacts found on the site, dating from prehistoric times through the colonial period. Musket balls, coins, pottery, and early hardware are among items of interest.

The site includes an early 20th-century reconstruction of Fort William Henry housing a permanent exhibit titled “Guns, Politics and Furs.”

In addition to the historic buildings and sites in the park, spectacular scenery, boat launching and docking facilities (requiring registration with the park manager) and a picnic area make Colonial Pemaquid a wonderful destination during your visit to Maine.





© 2012 Friends of Colonial Pemaquid
All text and photos are the property of the Friends of Colonial Pemaquid
and may not be reproduced without written permission.
All rights reserved.